Auto Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.
Auto Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.
Auto Insurance Information
Get the auto insurance you need from Pepe Insurance Agency!
Serving Dutchess County, NY including Poughquag, Lagrangeville, Hopewell Junction, and Poughkeepsie.
Pepe Insurance has been providing auto insurance coverage for Poughquag and the surrounding areas of Lagrangeville, Hopewell Junction, and Poughkeepsie in Dutchess County, NY since 1993. We pride ourselves in providing professional and friendly services to all of our clients. You have made an investment in your vehicles, now let Pepe Insurance invest in you.
What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance protects you against financial loss should you be involved in an accident. In New York, it is requirement that you carry auto insurance. It is a contract between you and your insurance company. You agree to pay the premium, and in exchange, your insurance company agrees to pay your auto-related financial losses during the term of your policy.
Auto insurance provides property, liability and medical coverage. There are six basic coverage areas that your auto policy will include:
- Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
- Collision coverage pays for damages resulting from collisions with another car or object.
- Comprehensive coverage provides coverage for accidents other than collisions with a car or object. This can include damage or loss from theft, fire, weather, or other such occurrences.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist coverage provides coverage and protects against car accidents involving you and uninsured driver.
New York requires you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you're financing a car, your lender may require you to have comprehensive and collision coverage. Most auto policies are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
How much liability coverage do I need?
There are two kinds of auto liability coverage, bodily injury and property damage.
Many policies are issued with limits such as:
- $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident bodily injury liability
- $50,000 property damage liability.
What do these limits mean and how do they work? Here's an example:
Steve ran a red light and hit two cars, a 2010 BMW and 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The BMW is totaled and the Chevrolet has extensive but repairable damage. The total property loss is $70,000. Steve's auto insurance policy would only pay $50,000 since that is the property damage limit. Steve needs to come up with $20,000 to settle the claim. Yikes!
Three people were injured in the crash. Each sue Steve, and the court awards each $150,000. Steve's policy will pay $100,000 to each injured party since the bodily injury limit is $100,000 per person. Steve will have to come up with another $150,000 to settle the lawsuit, whether that means selling his house and/or liquidating his savings and assets. Yikes!
Even though Steve had typical liability limits, we can see how in the event of a serious accident, these limits are not enough. Recommend limits would be:
- $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident bodily injury
- $100,000 property damage coverage
- plus a Personal Umbrella policy, which will provide an extra $1 million - $5 million in liability protection.
You should carry enough liability coverage to cover your net and future worth.
Why do you need auto insurance?
It's really all about protecting yourself financially.
- If you're in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Not only is having insurance a prudent financial decision, many states require you to have at least some coverage.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)
- What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver, multiple policy and student discounts.)
- What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
NY Minimum Requirements for Auto Insurance
Auto insurance is mandatory for operating any vehicle in NY. The state has strict requirements about how much liability and property damage you are required to carry on your vehicles.
- Minimum amount of liability insurance of $25,000 for bodily injury to one person.
- Minimum amount of liability insurance of $50,000 for bodily injury to all persons.
- Minimum amount of property damage coverage of $10,000 in any one accident.
- Mandatory "no-fault" coverage of $50,000 is also required.
What is No-Fault Coverage?
New York is a "no-fault" insurance state, which means that insureds are generally reimbursed by their insurance company for damages regardless of who was responsible for causing the accident. Insureds can also be reimbursed for medical costs and other losses that might occur after the accident.
Visit the NY DMV website for their guidelines and for defensive driving courses.
Already a Pepe Insurance Agency Customer?
We offer easy to use policy management forms. Visit our Customer Service page.
Have an auto claim?
For our current clients, visit our Claims Page to either submit a claim to us or find links to the claim page of your insurance company.
Thank you for your interest in Pepe Insurance Agency. We work with multiple A+ carriers to bring you the best auto coverage to fit your needs and budget. Contact us today and an insurance agent will reply promptly.