Icon Icon Icon Icon Icon Icon

You know what a life insurance policy's death benefit is -- the money your loved ones receive when you die. However, your life insurance policy also includes something called a living benefit. This means simply that you can tap into the death benefit, if you are chronically or terminally ill, as certified by a physician. 

What is a Living Benefit?

Living Benefits are also called Accelerated Benefit Riders. They provide the option of receiving a partial or full accelerated life insurance benefit if the insured experiences a qualifying medical condition, such as being chronically or terminally ill. They provide funds when they are needed to help at a critical time and help protect the money your client has saved for retirement and other life needs. 

Partial acceleration is paid from a portion of the policy's death benefit. If 25% of the death benefit is accelerated, then the remaining 75% of the death benefit would remain, which could be accessed later or paid to the beneficiary upon death.

Full acceleration is paid from the policy's death benefit. In this case, the policy will be terminated after acceleration is paid.

Protection with No Additional Premium

The riders are offered at no additional premium and are generally included in every term or permanent life insurance policy.Husband and wife sitting on a bench

Accelerated Benefit Rider Covers These Illnesses

Terminal Illness provides for the payment of an accelerated benefit if an eligible insured has an illness or chronic condition that is expected to result in death within a certain time frame specified by the insurance company. The most common time frames are 12 months and 24 months. 

Critical Illness provides for the payment of an accelerated benefit if an eligible insured is unable to perform two out of the six activities of daily living (eating, bathing, getting dressed, toileting, transferring, and continence) or experiences severe cognitive impairment.

What Can a Living Benefit Mean to a Family?

To an individual or family facing the trials of a terminal or critical illness, a living benefit can mean the freedom to make choices, provide for a family, and peace of mind. 

For more information about life insurance:

  

Written by Bill Pepe

 

Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018


View Mobile Version
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder.