Motorcycle Insurance Information
Ride with Peace of Mind
Whether you are enjoying a long summer time ride, commuting to work, or have your motorcycle stored away for the winter, a motorcycle insurance policy can help protect you and your motorcycle. For some people, riding a motorcycle is also their way of life. Others ride their motorcycle for recreation or as a hobby. Whether it's your main transportation or your weekend ride, a motorcycle insurance policy may help protect your bike. From headlight to tail light, it's important to make sure you and your ride are covered.
What Does NY Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
A motorcycle insurance includes coverage very similar to an auto insurance policy. The coverages include:
- Bodily Injury Liability: Required in NY. This coverage pays for the injuries (including death) and the cost of legal defense, if necessary, if you injure someone in a crash for which you are legally to blame.
- Property Damage Liability: Required in NY. This coverage pays to repair the damage that you caused to someone else's property due to a crash that you are legally to blame.
- Collision coverage: This coverage may help pay to repair or replace your motorcycle if it is damaged in a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: If your motorcycle incurs damage due to incidents such as fire, theft or vandalism, comprehensive coverage may help pay for repairs or replacement.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage: If your motorcycle is hit by a driver who doesn't have insurance or enough coverage to pay for repairs to your motorcycle, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage may help pay the related repair costs.
Other coverages include:
- Medical Payments: Pays for medical, hospital or funeral expenses for you and others injured or killed while riding on your motorcycle, regardless of fault. It also covers you and family members if struck by a car as a pedestrian or if riding in another vehicle.
- Towing and Labor: By purchasing this coverage, you will have access to emergency roadside assistance and towing if your motorcycle breaks down.
Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements in NY
New York is a beautiful place to ride. Whether you are riding your bike in an urban area or the wide open country, you and your bike must have certain requirements in order to be street legal in New York. That equipment includes:
- Eye protection: required for all riders
- Handlebar height: handgrips at or below shoulder height
- Helmet: required for all riders.
- Mirrors: only one required.
- Turn Signals: required for all bike manufactured after 1/1/1985.
- Passenger Seat/Footrest: both are required if carrying a passenger. No restrictions on a passenger's age.
- Headlight: required, modulating daytime headlight approved.
- Muffler: required; no straight pipes; no removal of baffles; no modification of exhaust system that increases noise beyond exhaust system originally installed.
- Safety inspect: not required.
Let us help you find the right coverage
We offer motorcycle insurance from a few major insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive. Motorcycle insurance is very affordable and much less expensive than auto insurance. Give us a call or request a motorcycle insurance quote today!
To learn more about motorcycle insurance, choose from the topics below.
Motorcycle Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.
Motorcycle Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.